Police in Rivers State have arrested one Roland Peter, a member of a notorious gang that kidnapped Pastor Samuel Okpara from Edoha, Ahoada LGA of the state on 15th August.
The gang killed Pastor Okpara, beheaded him and used his liver and intestine to cook pepper soup and plantain portage in their camp.
The Rivers State Commissioner of Police, PCP Zaki M. Ahmed disclosed these on Monday, August 28, while parading Peter alongside other suspects at the headquarters.
Good afternoon gentle men of the Press.
I am delighted to have you once again to chat with you and present our achievements update to you.
You will recall that on my assumption of duty, I did mention to all and sundry that my vision and mission in the state will be centred on the following objectives.
i) Total War against crime and criminality
ii) Zero Tolerance for corruption
iii) Policing with International best practices
iv) Community partnership in combating crime.
In pursuing these goals, I have sought for cooperation and help from stake-holders within and outside the State, including Members of the Press, both print and Electronic Media alike. Your supports have within the last four months seen the efforts of the command bearing fruits and led to the actualization and reduction of crime to its barest minimum. While the Command was riding on the crest of these successes, particularly with the arrest of notorious cult members who specialize in beheading their rival cult members, the recovery of numerous vehicles snatched from their owners and arrests of notorious kidnappers around the Egbeda, Omudioga and Omerelu axis.
The event however of 19th August, 2017 in which a suspected ritualist, Ifeanyi Chukwu Maxwell Dike, a 200 Level Student of University of Port Harcourt, where one Victoria Chikamzo Mesu was killed and dismembered for alleged ritual purposes, is unfortunate and highly regretted. His arrest and subsequent parade before the Press on Saturday 19th August, 2017 was a clear indication to show-case the immense partnership of the Police and the public in fighting crime. Information of his alleged escape from an IPO in the course of statement taking did not only leave a sour taste in the mouth of the command, but also created a dent in my avowed fight against crime and criminality.
I am totally committed in seeing that the suspect is re-arrested and any person involved regardless of status in aiding the escape of the suspect will be arrested and if found wanton dealt with in accordance with the law.
Consequently, in pursuit of this resolve, one ex-Sergeant Johnbosco Okoroeze who after thorough Investigation was discovered to have carried a premeditated action and aided the escape of the suspect, even before he was taken into custody. The said ex-Sergeant Johnbosco Okoroeze was tried in a Police Orderly Room Trial for which evidence tendered during the Trial revealed that he unilaterally, in a premeditated action released the suspect to run before raising alarm of his escape.
He was accordingly dismissed from the force and charged to Court for
1. Accessory after the fact to murder.
2. Perverting the course of Justice and
3. Permitting the escape of a murder suspect and has been remanded in prison custody.
In furtherance to pieces of evidence from witnesses and the fleeing suspect himself, some meaningful arrests were made touching on their involvements in the said act of murder (which I can not reveal to you now for fear of jeopardizing our Investigation).
I wish to at this juncture crave your continued support in our fight against crime and criminality as this is the only way in which we can make Rivers State safe for all law abiding citizens. The blame game should be discountenanced and all persons interested in the case should come with one resolve to help the Police in seeing that the suspect is re-arrested and brought to face the full wrath of the law. A handsome reward of N1m has already been pledged as the Command’s commitment in enhancing overwhelming public participation.
We are however close to re-arresting the suspect. And I promise you God willing he will be re-arrested very soon.
2. Similarly, the Command in continuation of her onslaught against kidnapping arrested one Roland Peter, a member of a notorious gang, that kidnapped Pastor Samuel Okpara from Edoha, Ahoada LGA, Rivers State on 15th August, 2017 who was kidnapped, killed and beheaded and whose liver and intestine were used for pepper-soup and plantain portage while cooking in their camp. He is alleged to be in possession of the gang’s riffles, led by one Justus, surname unknown but popularly known as High-Tension from Abarikpo in Ahoada East Local Government Area. He is helping in the Police Investigation.
3. Furthermore, Operatives of SARS in a covert operation arrested Belema Oriasi ‘m’, Michael Eboh ‘m’ and Godspower Isreal ‘m’ who are said to be the gang operating along Ada George Road. Also the Special Anti Robbery Squad arrested Rabiu Mohammed ‘m’, Smart Moses ‘m’, Tony Victory ‘m’, Patrick Job ‘m’, Ndubuisi Odoagi ‘m’, Uchenna Okoro ‘m’, Answer Eze ‘m’, Friday Ichendu ‘m’, Anthony Horfall ‘m’, they are said to be the criminal gang operating along the East West Road. They are helping the Police and will be charged to Court as soon as Investigation is concluded.
SUMMARY OF ACHIEVEMENTS
1 . No. of Suspected Cultists Arrested – 5
2 . No. of Suspected Kidnappers Arrested – 7
3 . No. of Suspected Armed Robbers Arrested – 13
4 . No. of Suspected cultists Prosecuted – 10
5 . No. of Suspected Kidnappers Prosecuted – 13
6 . No. of Suspected Armed Robbers Prosecuted – 12
7 . No. of armed Robbery foiled – 5
8 . No. of Kidnapping foiled – 3
9 . No. of Kidnapped victims rescued – 13
10 . No. of fatalities recorded – 6
11 . No. of Arms recovered – 25
12 . No. of AK47 recovered – 3
13 . No. of locally made pistol recovered – 1
14 . No. of Pump Action recovered – 5
15 . No. of Single Barrel gun recovered – 1
16 . No. of Cartridges recovered – 65
17 . No. of live Ammunition recovered – 156
18 . No. Magazine recovered – 4
19 . No. of Vehicles recovered – 9
20 . No. of Machetes recovered -1
Total No. of Suspects Arrested – 23
Once again I thank you sincerely for coming to share our success stories as I pledge to do more under my watch to fight these criminal elements. Again, I wish to assure you that adequate deployments have been made to re-arrest Ifeanyi Chukwu Dike, the ritualist and any other person connected to the killing. I strongly seek your co-operation and understanding.
Thank you for your patience and understanding.
Leave a Reply