While it is true that the factors that determine who gets admitted through JAMB and who does not is quite complicated, it does not mean that there is nothing a candidate can do to increase his or her chances of securing admission.
This post is to highlight some of the things a JAMB candidate can do to ensure he or she has a very high possibility of securing admission.
If you are preparing for the upcoming JAMB UTME, you are advised to carefully read this post and follow the recommendations to increase your chances of gaining admission. Below are few factors that will increase your chances of gaining admission.
1. Complete/Right O’level result JAMB has made it clear last year that henceforth, no candidates will be admitted with incomplete O’level results. A candidate that does not have the complete O’level results for his or her chosen course of study is not qualified for admission. This does not mean that candidates that are are still waiting for the release of their O’level result cannot apply for JAMB using awaiting result. However, such candidates are to ensure they upload their complete O’level result before admission commences.
2. Correct JAMB UTME-Subject Combination Just the same way an incomplete/wrong O’level results can disqualify you for admission, same way a wrong UTME subject combination can equally disqualify. UTME Subject combination is a combination of subjects related to your intended course of study that you are expected to to take during JAMB examination. Candidates are to ensure they go through the JAMB Brochure to know the exact UTME subject combination for their chosen course of study or check our list of courses and their UTME subject combinations to avoid making this mistake. Though last year, JAMB allowed candidates with such mistake to make the correction later but we are not sure if that opportunity will be given this year. So take this seriously.
3. Apply for a School That Your State of Origin Is Within Its Catchment Area: Each Federal University has its own catchment areas. These catchment areas are states connected to that particular federal university. If your state of origin is recognized as part of the catchment area of the federal university you applied to study, you will stand a better chance of securing admission into that university than someone else whose state of origin is not recognized as part of the university’s catchment area. 35% of the available spaces are reserved for candidates whose state of origin fall within the catchment area of the federal university of their choice. So it is advisable to apply for admission to an institutions that has your state of origin as part of its catchment area.
4. A High JAMB Score Though a high JAMB score does not automatically mean that you will gain admission, but a high JAMB score will help boost your chances of securing admission especially if your intended course of study is a competitive course like Medicine, Law etc This is why you should study well for the upcoming examination.
5. A High Post-UTME Score Similar to the last point I made, a high Post JAMB score equally gives a candidate a high chance of gaining admission. So don’t just aspire for a high score in JAMB exam, also aspire for a high Post-UTME score as well. That way, you have a better chance of securing admission.
All these I have mentioned above will surely give you a high chance of gaining admission and with God on your side, your admission is sure. Success!